Can't figure out why managesieve (pigeonhole) can't connect

colin at colinlikesfood.com colin at colinlikesfood.com
Wed Dec 14 20:48:08 UTC 2022

Thank you for this.  I am not using self-signed, I am using letsencrypt
as a CA, the certs are installed where certbot put them.

I tried the example from https://wiki2.dovecot.org/TestInstallation,
using openssl s_client, and I achieved the following (lots of data
replaced with "...")

I have not changed anything else since your last reply, I am honestly
not sure what rc config has to do with certs (google has not given me a
result that seems to apply).  Does the below help confirm my certs are
properly installed and that i can connect to dovecot over tls and pass
my credentials?

-----

root at mc:~ # openssl s_client -connect mydomain.com:143 -starttls imap
CONNECTED(00000004)
depth=2 C = US, O = Internet Security Research Group, CN = ISRG Root X1
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
verify return:1
depth=0 CN = mydomain.com
verify return:1
---
Certificate chain
---
Server certificate
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
..
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
..
---
No client certificate CA names sent
Peer signing digest: SHA256
Peer signature type: RSA-PSS
Server Temp Key: X25519, 253 bits
---
Verification: OK
---
..
..
..
---
read R BLOCK
a login me at mydomain.com MyPass
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES
WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE SNIPPET=FUZZY
PREVIEW=FUZZY PREVIEW STATUS=SIZE SAVEDATE LITERAL+ NOTIFY SPECIAL-USE
a OK Logged in
a OK Logged in
b select inbox
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)]
Flags permitted.
* 35 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 18] First unseen.
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1669149589] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 255] Predicted next UID
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 615] Highest
b OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed (0.001 + 0.000 secs).
c list "" *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \Marked \Trash) "/" Trash
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Junk) "/" Junk
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \Marked \Sent) "/" Sent
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \Drafts) "/" Drafts
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" INBOX/email-reports
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" INBOX/NAS-Alerts
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" INBOX
c OK List completed (0.001 + 0.000 secs).