Question about line length limit in lmtp.

Kamil Jońca kjonca at o2.pl
Thu Dec 15 08:00:49 UTC 2022

Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com> writes:

>> On 08/12/2022 11:39 EET Gedalya <gedalya at gedalya.net> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/8/22 17:29, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>> > Dovecot LMTP and Submission enforce the RFC line length, which is 1000, including \r\n.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on this?
>>
>> I often get mail coming in from the wild with long lines and I find the most practical approach is to pass it on to dovecot LMTP as is, and it just works, and the message is stored with long lines, not folded.
>>
>> I haven't tried dovecot's submission yet.
>>
>> What exactly can you tell me about line length limits in LMTP and submission and can it be configured?
>
> This is something that is usually handled automatically and does not affect the mails you see in your MUA. The folding is done within the protocol.

Hm. Confused  by some post in thread I make test
I tested with
1. dovecot with lmtp and maildir as storage.
2. postfix configured to pass messages with line folding turned off.

then I issued:

$for ((i=1;i<=1100;i++)); do echo -n "." ; done|mail kjonca

mail was delivered and in maildir file line was stored "as is" - without
any breaking newline.
So I believe dovecot-lmtp does not break the lines. And please do not
change this :)

KJ

--
http://wolnelektury.pl/wesprzyj/teraz/