[SOLVED] Permissions for dovecot logging

James Moe moe.james at sma-inc.us
Fri Dec 30 21:25:09 UTC 2022

On 2022-12-27 16:19, James Moe wrote:

>   I changed logging to use a path rather than syslog. Doing so makes it easier
> to work with fail2ban.
>   Dovecot fails to start with the error:
> Can't open log file /data01/var/log/dovecot.log: Permission denied

  Yes, it was apparmor. It has been enabled for a couple of months. Dovecot is
the first app that I've added that has a apparmor profile. After adding the
necessary entry to the profile, logging proceeded as expected.

In </etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.dovecot> I added:
  owner /data01/var/log/dovecot/* a,

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com