Config for filtering (ignoring) specific mbox mail folders?

John Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Tue Feb 8 16:05:39 UTC 2022

Folks:

I'm migrating to Dovecot to provide IMAP services for my personal network.

I have more than a couple of decades of mail in multiple (1000+) mbox
mail files, but I don't care to expose all of those to IMAP.

Is there any way to filter out what mail folders Dovecot will LIST and
provide access to using globs or regular expressions? I'd prefer to avoid
rearranging the mbox files (e.g. to subdirectories) if possible.

I looked through the Dovecot documentation and didn't see anything
promising, and I couldn't find any discussion of the topic online. The
feature that looked like it might be closest was Namespaces, but I
couldn't see how to use that to ignore specific mbox files.

Is there any facility within Dovecot (or a plugin) to filter out / ignore
mail folders by name, RE or file glob?

Thanks in advance!

  jhardin at impsec.org                         pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org