Stats-writer permission denied

Ken Wright daddywarlock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 06:04:38 UTC 2022

I've got a new Dovecot error (well, new to me, at least)!

I ran tail /var/log/mail.err and got the following:

net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/stats-writer) failed: Permission
denied

I checked the file, and it's owned by www-data and the www-data group,
with read and write permissions for owner and group... just like I have
specified in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf.  I can't understand
why permission is denied when the file permissions appear to be
correct.  Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Ubuntu 20.04
Dovecot 2.3.7.2

Ken