Sv: patch: make received-header on submission optional or optionally drop the from-part in it

Sebastian Nielsen sebastian at sebbe.eu
Wed Jan 5 18:27:36 UTC 2022

MUA/browser based things are not considered be in scope for GDPR unless they are truly unique.
So you do NOT need to hide user-agent/MUA for privacy reasons.

Received lines is only applicable (in scope for GDPR) if they identify the end user. A good solution to this would be to just scrap every received-line EXCEPT for the received line *immediately* before receiving the mail (which will be the remote server connecting).
This will guaranteed protect against mail providers that DO insert their end user IP or client IP as a Received line.

Example:

If 123.222.123.222 connects to us and sends an email, and you have the following received lines:

Then you scrap the 2 earliest, so you are left with:

For X-PHP-Originating-Script I don't think you need to hide that unless it contains the IP of the web user submitting the form. Same applies here, if someone sets up a server, they have automatically consented to the processing of personal details, since they publish things.