Can't log in from Evolution or Roundcube

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Sat Jan 8 20:04:00 UTC 2022

Dave McGuire schreef op 2022-01-08 18:20:
> On 1/8/22 11:27 AM, Ken Wright wrote:
>> MariaDB.  Now it's time for me to clarify.  The "source stream
>> returned
>> no data" error is in Evolution; the "connection to storage server
>> failed" is in Roundcube.  So I'm seeing similar errors in two
>> different
>> email clients trying to get to the same server.
>>
>> I know there are any number of reasons for a failed connection to
>> Dovecot, but I just don't have the experience to figure this one out.
>
>   Understood.  There's enough expertise here to get you going.
>
>   First, ignore the superficial similarity of the errors and
> diagnose/address them individually.  Get one mail client working via
> IMAP.
>
>   For Evolution's "source stream returned no data", ignore my previous
> suggestion about web browser SSL vs. non-SSL, as that's not relevant
> to Evolution.  The error looked very familiar to me at first; it
> probably came from the same library as whatever I was working with
> when I hit that. (probably libssl)  Go into the mail account
> configuration in Evolution and check the settings there.  I don't use
> Evolution so I can't direct you more specifically, but what to pay
> attention to here is the connection settings and port numbers.  I'm
> guessing (hazardously) that the port number or SSL method is
> incorrect.  Make sure to distinguish between SSL and TLS (STARTTLS).
>
>   Concentrate on getting that working first; don't get distracted from
> it.
>
>   After that's working, then move on to Roundcube.  Look in
> Roundcube's config.inc.php file.  Where that file is located is
> system-dependend; mine is in /opt/local/etc/roundcube, which is
> specific to SmartOS. Parameter "$config['db_dsnw']" is the DSN for
> your database connection. This is the format of that configuration
> variable:
>
> $config['db_dsnw'] = 'mysql://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER/DATABASE';
>
>   You're running MariaDB, which is a fork of MySQL, so I'm guessing
> that Roundcube doesn't differentiate between the two, so the "mysql"
> above is probably correct.  Check the docs if that fails.  Obviously,
> the words in uppercase must be correct for your installation.
> "SERVER" might be "localhost" for you. (it isn't for me)

AFAIK, the error "Connection to storage server failed" only occurs when
Roundcube can't connect to IMAP (in this case, Dovecot). If there's a
database issue, Roudcube should show the message "Unable to connect to
the database!".

>   One quick thing to check: Did you issue a "flush privileges" command
> to MariaDB after creating the account for Roundcube to use?

FWIW, that hasn't been needed for quite some time when not directly
manipulating mysql.users (i.e. using `CREATE USER`).

--
With kind regards,

William Edwards