Why would dovecot not be answering

justina colmena ~biz justina at colmena.biz
Sun Jan 23 04:21:00 UTC 2022

Good question. This looks like a unix socket set up for dovecot to provide authentication services to postfix and anyways postfix would be listening on TCP port 587 for authenticated mail submission. Normally you do not want to offer any user authentication or login on port 25, but that is all set up and specified explicitly in /etc/postfix/main.cf and /etc/postfix/master.cf.

Of course you do need user authentication for dovecot itself to offer IMAP and/or POP services for users to fetch or read their email.

I can't get really get on the postfix mailing list myself, or sort through all that volume. There's an unsolicited bulk email industry in control of everything.