dovecot Digest, Vol 225, Issue 71

David Matthews mail at dmatthews.org
Thu Jan 27 16:37:25 UTC 2022

hi Christian

>Did the password hash algorithm change between devuan 3 and 4?
>You can check that in your /etc/shadow file.

As I understand, devuan is pretty much debian without systemd? And that if you were prepared to do a fair bit of work you could start with debian installed, hack it about and end up with something like devuan?

I doubt devuan has done anything to deviate from debian at this level and both machines were recently dist-upgraded. Dovecot needed no tinkering with at all on the debian machine.

>The start of the password field should be the same something like $6$...

Yes it is on devuan 4. I no longer have anything with devuan 3 to check that, but it shouldn't have changed in a dist-upgrade? Interestingly, although it's the same user and password on both machines, I notice that the hashes in /etc/shadow are not identical after the commencing $6$. But then I don't know how these hashes are derived, so maybe that is not unexpected?

--
David Matthews
mail at dmatthews.org