silly quesiton

Chris Bennett chris-dvcot at freedomforlife.rocks
Sun Jan 30 18:55:00 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 03:50:12AM -0900, justina colmena ~biz wrote:
> Maybe a future programming project idea: I want a system that will store all mail messages and user account info in, say, a postgresql transactional database, a little more manageable and reliable than ad hoc databasing with those flat files all over the place cluttering up the system.

I am in progress moving towards something like that.
As of right now, perl,  dovecot for IMAP, neomutt and OpenSMTPD.

Right now, .neomuttrc files *only* exist during the usage of neomutt.
They have random names, cannot be written to and are immediately erased
after neomutt starts (not quits). That is a very small window of threat.

I would very much like to put all of the messages into PostgreSQL also
instead of file folders under the user vmail.

This is just a side project.
As I have been advised, there is no need to even write a configuration
file at all, but there are some issues with dbh that I need to solve
with a different database module.

If someone can read files that never exist, well...
At some point you have to at least consider trusting something.
That or just turn it all off and get another career.

--
Chris Bennett