Case sensitivity and unicode normalisation on ZFS for Dovecot Maildir

Jørn Åne de Jong dovecot.list at jornane.no
Wed Jul 6 11:51:22 UTC 2022

I'm wondering about some filesystem considerations when using Dovecot.
I've read https://wiki.dovecot.org/FileSystems, but that basically talks
about low-level details.  My question is not about that.

I use the following mail_location:
maildir:~/maildir:LAYOUT=fs:INBOX=~/maildir/INBOX:UTF-8

In this setup, because I use LAYOUT=fs and UTF-8, the IMAP names are
identical to the directory names.  I noticed that the INBOX name is
case-insensitive, but all other names are case-sensitive.  I wonder if
it's possible to have consistent behaviour here.

Now since I use ZFS, I have the ability to make the filesystem case
insensitive and to normalise unicode codepoints.  Is that something that
would be useful when running a Dovecot server, or would that be a bad idea?