Having an issue migrating mailboxes with the doveadm backup tool...

Tom Spettigue toms at zonit.com
Wed Jul 13 22:41:34 UTC 2022

Hey all.

We've got some users that live on our primary email server (which lives
in our internal network) that we need to migrate to a second email
server (which lives in our DMZ). Both servers serve our domain,
example.com, but our first email server runs UW-IMAP, while our newer
second server is running dovecot.

We need to get these users cleanly migrated over, with all of their
emails, and we're trying to do so with the doveadm backup tool -
figuring that it will probably "do" Dovecot better than a generic IMAP
to IMAP tool. So far, no dice - we get the following error message:

    Jul 13 16:00:00 doveadm(user at example.com): Fatal: All your
    namespaces have a location setting. Only namespaces with empty
    location settings are converted. (One namespace should default to
    mail_location setting)

Here is the command I'm trying to run:

    doveadm -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-migration.conf -D -o imapc_user=user
    -o imapc_password=password backup -Ru user at example.com imapc:

Here is the output of doveconf -n:

    # 2.3.16 (7e2e900c1a): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
    # OS: Linux 4.18.0-372.16.1.el8_6.x86_64 x86_64 AlmaLinux release
    8.6 (Sky Tiger)
    # Hostname: example.com
    auth_mechanisms = plain login
    auth_verbose = yes
    disable_plaintext_auth = no
    info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
    log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
    mail_debug = yes
    mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
    passdb {
       args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
       driver = passwd-file
    }
    postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com
    protocols = imap lmtp
    service auth {
         group = postfix
         mode = 0660
         user = postfix
       }
    }
    service lmtp {
       executable = lmtp -L
       inet_listener lmtp {
         address = 1.2.3.4 127.0.0.1 ::1
         port = 24
       }
       unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
         group = postfix
         mode = 0666
         user = postfix
       }
       user = vmail
    }
    ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem
    ssl_dh = # hidden, use -P to show it
    ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = yes
    userdb {
       args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/passwd
       auth_verbose = yes
       default_fields = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%u
       driver = passwd-file
    }
    protocol lmtp {
       lmtp_rawlog_dir = /tmp/dovecot/%u
       log_path = /var/log/dovecot-lmtp-debug.log
    }

--
Tom Spettigue
Staff Engineer