Tools to get a report of which folders have new mail?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jul 20 00:39:49 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-07-19 at 09:19 +0300, Aki Tuomi wrote:

> doveadm -fjson mailbox status -u user unseen "*"

As promised, the following is the Python 3 script to take advantage of
your command by printing out the mailbox name and number of unseen for
each folder that has some unseen messages:

#!/usr/bin/python3

import json;
import subprocess;

def main():
    cmd='doveadm -fjson mailbox status -u slitt unseen "*"'
    sp=subprocess.Popen(cmd,shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    rc=sp.wait()
    print('\n\n\n\n')
    jstrng,junk=sp.communicate()
    jsn=json.loads(jstrng)
    newboxes={}
    for rec in jsn:
        if rec['unseen'] != "0":
            unseen=rec['unseen']
            mailbox=rec['mailbox']
            newboxes[mailbox] = unseen
    for key in sorted(newboxes.keys(), key=str.lower):
        print("{}: {} unread.".format(key, newboxes[key]))

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

My 20 minutes of testing indicate this is not always accurate and must
not be relied on without backup methods, but I'm going to be using it
until I find something better.

Thanks,

Steve