rawlog data in a lua script

michael.zork at feierfighter.de michael.zork at feierfighter.de
Thu Jul 28 10:17:55 UTC 2022

Hi,   I'm searching for a possibility to have the rawlog feature in lua, which would be much easier for processing. Currently Dovecot, when activating rawlog for a user, writes everything to disk (which creates I/O), and I have to somehow read it from there. That's a bit complicated, because I have to get notified via inotify or similar when there are new files created, and then I have to start a "tail" or "epoll" mechanism on the files to get the contents in more or less real time (IMAP sessions can be multiple hours or days).   It would be much easier to hook to the "raw request and response events" inside Dovecot and have the rawlog-data in a lua script, where I can prepare it and send it to another maschine for monitoring/collection/analysis/statistics or similar, for example via HTTP.   Having the rawlog data available in lua would make things a lot easier.   Is there any possibility at the moment to create a lua script and "hook" to those "request and response events"? If not, would it be possible to add that feature in the future?   Kind regards
Michael