Dovecot folder problem while deleting via IMAP

Christian Mack christian.mack at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Jul 29 08:51:52 UTC 2022

Hello

Am 29.07.22 um 10:42 schrieb Pascal Bonny:
> Dovecot Version:
> 2.3.17 (8414c38c5c)
>
> Dear,
> Some troubles occur while  we delete a folder via IMAP ssl command or via a IMAP
> client (different clients tested).
>
> When we want to delete subfolder we observe following issues.
>

> some examples following:
>
> we created a folder with subfolders x/y/z
>
> <IMAP command create>
> a02 CREATE x.y.z
> a02 OK Create completed (0.003 + 0.000 + 0.002 secs).
> <IMAP command create>
>
> <doveadm mailbox list -u "user at domain.tld">
> ====response from dovecot cli====
> x.y
> x.y.z
>
> then we try to delete the z subfolder of x
>
> <IMAP command delete>
> a04 DELETE x.y.z
> a05 OK Delete completed (0.002 + 0.000 + 0.001 secs).
> <IMAP command delete>
>
> The IMAP console returns success and the dovecot listing is ok
>
> <doveadm mailbox list -u "user at domain.tld">
> ====response from dovecot cli =====
> x.y
>
> But dovecot status on x.y returns the folder is not existent

[cut]
That is normal IMAP behaviour.
With creating x.y.z you really create only folder z and a folder
hirarchy x.y, in which you can not store emails (nor have any access).

You have to create x and x.y, in order to get complete folders and
subfolders usable for emails and be able to delete them :-)

Kind regards,
Christian Mack
--
Christian Mack