Replication not working - GUIDs conflict - will be merged later

Paul Kudla (SCOM.CA Internet Services Inc.) paul at scom.ca
Sun Jul 31 12:47:44 UTC 2022

Ok This is speculation but i understand the issue at a programming level

what needs to be understood is that imap's uids & ugid's are relative to
the host server the email is coming from.

this is generally not an issue with replication on cyrus or dovecot
because the server and the replication is being handled by the same
server set (ie the same uids & guids etc are generated as things happen)

example replicated data :

-rw-------    1 vmail  vmail  uarch  185K Jul 29 09:30
1659101404.M875201P20192.mail19.scom.ca,S=189252,W=192431:2,S
-rw-------    1 vmail  vmail  uarch  1.5K Jul 29 09:53
1659102818.M268117P41331.mail18.scom.ca,S=1583,W=1639:2,S
-rw-------    1 vmail  vmail  uarch  1.0M Jul 29 12:52
1659113530.M841469P58214.mail18.scom.ca,S=1095861,W=1113817:2,S
-rw-------    1 vmail  vmail  uarch  210K Jul 29 13:15
1659114913.M958008P31982.mail19.scom.ca,S=215405,W=219216:2,S

you will note the originating server is in the mail file name (mail19 &
mail18 in my case)

this is how dovecot sorts out the uids etc on the fly. (i think)

If i have read this correctly you are trying to sync to an external imap
server that carries its own uids guids etc which will be different.

where you are saying that you are using imap sync i assume you are using
the unix version

# imapsync
Name:

  imapsync - Email IMAP tool for syncing, copying, migrating and archiving
  email mailboxes between two imap servers, one way, and without duplicates.

Version:

  This documentation refers to Imapsync $Revision: 1.977 $

if so look at the

--useuid            :

Use UIDs instead of headers as a criterion to recognize
messages. Option --usecache is then implied unless
                         --nousecache is used.

and the --logfile (ie run a logging file when connecting the the
external account), it might help with any errors being generated (run
imapsync in debug mode to get full detail)

basically using useuid deals with sometimes getting a different uid back
from the origional server

i go through this issue more with pop3 as it returns the id list
starting at uid 1 (for example) instead of the actual uid against the
email on the server.

uids will force a proper sync (imap or pop3) because the uid on the
server will always return the same uid for that email message and
increments forward inside the account.

if so then imap sync should be sorting this out when syncing the imap
accounts ? (ie creating new usid guids etc)

so assuming the above is happening the next question is are you using
replication that is fully setup between the two servers or are you doing
manual replication (ie running the doveadm command to do the sync?)

(you mentioned using the backup command which would kinda work but full
replication does the changes on the fly and should work)

if you are running manual replication you should consider going to the
live replication, it will sort out stuff as the imap folders sync etc.
(or it should)

The next thing to consider is there were some issues that were fixed in
2.3.19 replication, are you running the same dovecot versions on both
servers ?

I do a ton of emails, reporting etc and find that replication works well
on dovecot 2.3.19 bewteen both of my mail servers. ie it does not matter
which one receives the email it gets sorted out. If there is an error
the replication will sort it out on the next sync run through the
replication process running in the background.

you can set all of the retries etc for replication in the config files.

the merged later is probably indicating that dovecot will sort stuff out
in the background (ie a reindex etc) but that is putting extra stress on
the server(s), i used to get the merge or duplicate uids, guids on cyrus
and it would try to sort it out on the fly. this would occur when one
replicated server was offline and i was forcing a sync update after
bringing it back online, this was the case because both servers had
received emails into the same account from seperate sources thus the
same uid was set for two different messages on each server. (fyi)

with syrus a rebuild was the only was to sort this out

dovecot seems way more resiliant in this department.

again full replication setup would sort these issue out i expect as each
server would handle stuff as it happens and adjust uid,guids accordingly.

Happy Sunday !!!
Thanks - paul

Paul Kudla

Scom.ca Internet Services <http://www.scom.ca>