TLS renegotiation issue (CVE-2011-1473) in Dovecot

Paul Kudla (SCOM.CA Internet Services Inc.) paul at scom.ca
Mon May 16 13:47:49 UTC 2022

ok need some more info but in general ssl setup should be as follows.

FQHN - do have have proper dns reverses setup? - this is an upstream thing

for example :

forwards :

## nslookup mail18.scom.ca
Server:         10.220.0.2
Address:        10.220.0.2#53

Name:   mail18.scom.ca
Address: 65.39.148.18

reverses :

## nslookup 65.39.148.18
18.148.39.65.in-addr.arpa       name = sogo.scom.ca.
18.148.39.65.in-addr.arpa       name = mail18.scom.ca.
18.148.39.65.in-addr.arpa       name = ns2.scom.ca.
18.148.39.65.in-addr.arpa       name = mail.scom.ca.

it needs to be understood that the reverses are usually returned by your
upstream isp and should be set accordingly, ie you will have to get them
to program them.

if you note above you can have several mappings for reverses

next ssl rewriting (other then sni) does simply not work so well.

also you should have a static ip (assuming you do)

mail18 is in my reverse so this error wont be thrown.

also note the server name (mail18.scom.ca) for both dovecot and postfix
MUST match the certificate and dns for all to work.

ssl when running a masil server should be setup with a proper
ceretificate (i use a wildcard for mine), proper forwards and proper
reverses. Lets Encrypt (free ssl) is not a stable way to go on a busy
server. You can typically get an ssl cert (proper one) for 10~20 us?
pending on the provider of the cert.

also note this has to be setup properly on postfix as well as that to
could throw a FQHN error if they are connecting to port 25/465/587 as well.

My ssl config (example) - please note i run sni for multiple domains and
certs

i typically run with the dovecot defaults under 2.3.18 and it seems to
work ok.

# cat sni.conf
#sni.conf
ssl = yes
verbose_ssl = yes
ssl_dh =</usr/local/etc/dovecot/dh-4096.pem
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = yes
#ssl_min_protocol = TLSv1.2

#Default *.scom.ca
ssl_key =</usr/local/etc/dovecot/scom.pem
ssl_cert =</usr/local/etc/dovecot/scom.pem
ssl_ca =</usr/local/etc/dovecot/scom.pem

local_name .scom.ca {
   ssl_key = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c *.scom.ca -q yes
   ssl_cert = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c *.scom.ca -q yes
   ssl_ca = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c *.scom.ca -q yes
}

local_name mail.clancyca.com {
   ssl_key = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.clancyca.com -q yes
   ssl_cert = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.clancyca.com -q yes
   ssl_ca = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.clancyca.com -q yes
}

local_name secure.clancyca.com {
   ssl_key = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c secure.clancyca.com -q yes
   ssl_cert = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c secure.clancyca.com -q yes
   ssl_ca = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c secure.clancyca.com -q yes
}

local_name mail.paulkudla.net {
   ssl_key = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.paulkudla.net -q yes
   ssl_cert = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.paulkudla.net -q yes
   ssl_ca = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.paulkudla.net -q yes
}

local_name mail.ekst.ca {
   ssl_key = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.ekst.ca -q yes
   ssl_cert = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.ekst.ca -q yes
   ssl_ca = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.ekst.ca -q yes
}

local_name mail.hamletdevelopments.ca {
   ssl_key = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.hamletdevelopments.ca
-q yes
   ssl_cert = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.hamletdevelopments.ca
-q yes
   ssl_ca = /programs/common/getssl.cert -c mail.hamletdevelopments.ca
-q yes
}

Happy Monday !!!
Thanks - paul