Force TCP socket disconnect on imap login failure?

Lloyd Zusman hippoman at gmail.com
Mon May 23 19:11:46 UTC 2022

I'm running dovecot 2.2.13 under Debian 8.

I'd like to force an immediate TCP socket disconnect after any imap login
attempt that fails.

Right now, if invalid credentials are supplied during an imap login, the
client can keep retrying logins with different credentials. However, I want
to prevent that from occurring by causing the socket connection to be
closed as soon as there is any failed login attempt.

I haven't been able to find any dovecot configuration setting which could
control this behavior, but I'm hoping that I just missed something.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.
 hippoman at gmail.com
 Take a hippopotamus to lunch today.