Force TCP socket disconnect on imap login failure?

Péter Márton marton.peter at gmail.com
Tue May 24 04:18:20 UTC 2022

Just for clarification (this probably won't help achieve your primary
goal to reset the connections):
Iptables can block future connections _and_ stop existing connections
to receive (and send) packets (even the command you posted). What it
can't do is closing existing connections (sending a FIN).
If the example you show can not block existing connections you have
somewhere before the chain a RELATED, ESTABLISHED rule with ACCEPT as
target. This is a common mistake. Your fail2ban rules have to come
_before_ you check for related and established connections.

I never tested this, but you could try using "-j REJECT --reject-with
tcp-reset" instead of DROP. Then at least a RST would be sent.