Thousands of SSL certificates stalls new logins during reload - problem with Dovecot config process

Bartosz Kwitniewski zerg-dovecot at uid0.pl
Sat Sep 3 22:58:12 UTC 2022

On 02/09/2022 22:45, John Stoffel wrote:>>>>>> "Bartosz" == Bartosz
Kwitniewski <zerg-dovecot at uid0.pl> writes:

 >> Out of other services on that machine that are able to handle such
 >> number of certificates during reloads:
 >> - proftpd loads configs dynamically based on SNI domain
 >> - exim loads certificates dynamically based on SNI domain
 >> - LiteSpeed switches to a new process after loading whole configuration
 >
 > Are you running all these services on one machine?  Maybe you could
 > get an SSL termination device which terminates the SSL connections and
 > then forwards them into the proper backend application?  This way only
 > one system needs to be managed for certs, and only one (or two since I
 > assume you have an HA pair :-) needs to then reload when new certs are
 > inserted.
 >
 > If you could hack the proftpd cert code into dovecot, that might also
 > be a way around it.  I haven't a clue how this works since I haven't
 > looked at either code base.  It won't be simple, but I'm sure others
 > would apprecaite it.
 >
 > If it's critical, paying for the feature to be added is another
 > option.

For now they are on the same machine, we have to write our own panel for
clients to get more freedom in backend choices. I was looking into
HAProxy for SSL termination, but it does not support STARTTLS.

I'll try to look for workaround next week, but haven't used C for ages.

Best regards,
--
Bartosz Kwitniewski