Duplicate UID warning in dsync backups

Doug cdm567 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 13:37:05 UTC 2022

Posting here in case anyone stumbles across this thread while
researching the same error message, I finally solved it.

At some point to be able to view the results of my backups I had
configured my test dovecot server (maildev.domain.com) to access the
same maildir location used by the backups. I never disabled that. A cron
job runs on maildev that creates an email in my inbox on maildev
assigning the next UID in sequence. The result is an email on the backup
with the same UID as the source but a different GUID.

I read elsewhere that dsync deletes the destination mailbox and rebuilds
it when it encounters this type of conflict, but inbox being a "special"
folder cannot be deleted and rebuilt.

The messages reported in my logs explain exactly what was happening. In
simple terms:

Message:      dsync(doug): Warning: Deleting mailbox 'INBOX': UID=133060
already exists locally for a different mail: GUIDs don't match
(1657786027.M158587P19048.maildev.domain.com vs
581a08178e8ecf62f04700002bad4ea1)
Explanation: dsysnc found a mismatch in the source and destination that
it could not resolve and will delete the mailbox

Message:      dsync(doug): Error: Couldn't delete mailbox INBOX: INBOX
can't be deleted.
Explanation: I tried to delete Inbox and rebuild it, but can't.

-- Doug