[dovecot] questions

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Thu Dec 5 17:56:41 EET 2002

hi,
I'm look around to find a usable imap server and find dovecot.
I read all the docs, but I've got a few questions:
- currently we use courier (since we find and install it quickly).
  can we switch from it to dovecot smoothly?
  or we have to convert the maildirs somehow?
- I've got a few plan in my mind it it possible to do it with dovecot
  now or in the near future (if yes what is the estimated time)?:
  - authenticate from LDAP, the best would be trough PAM?
  - use the same user with different domain. eg: lfarkas at bnap.hu,
    lfarkas at bppiac.hu with the same imap server? handle more domains.
  - use imaps and use Digest-MD5 and/or CRAM-MD5?
  - put a database backend under imap and store the mails in a database.
  - use WITHOUT local users? it's very important! most case a user never
    ever log into the local system and I would not like to put them into
    /etc/password.
  - do it all the above at the same time!?
thanks.

--
Levente                                  http://petition.eurolinux.org/
 "The only thing worse than not knowing the truth is