[dovecot] Re: Dovecot Pronunciation/Meaning

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 16 11:23:09 EET 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 11:02, Jesse Peterson wrote:
> What is the "official" way to pronounce Dovecot?  Is there a meaning to
> the word?  A background on why you chose it?

It's a real english word, pronounced as such.

  Dovecot \Dove"cot`\, Dovecote \Dove"cote`\, n.
     A small house or box, raised to a considerable height above
     the ground, and having compartments, in which domestic
     pigeons breed; a dove house.

It was suggested by Bostik (Mika Boström) in IRC when I was still
calling it just "imapd" and asking for naming ideas.