[dovecot] Re: dovecot and pop3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 27 00:21:48 EET 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 23:59, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> If indeed I were to going to switch at some point, I'd need to replace
> the UW POP3 server (which is a part of the UW package). I would prefer
> one that actually used the dovecot IMAP server instead of going to the
> filesystem directly.

Why? Smaller chance of screwups if they don't have compatible file
locking, or making authentication configuration easier? I don't think
either is much of a problem though.

I've been thinking of making a Dovecot POP3 daemon as well. POP3
protocol is so simple that it doesn't take many hours to implement it,
especially because I've tried to keep the IMAP protocol isolated from
the actual functionality (I didn't fully succeed in it, but well
enough). Anyway, this probably won't come that soon, IMAP part still
needs much to do.

If you really need mbox POP3 server, I'd suggest popa3d.