[dovecot] still problems getting it to work

Korbinian Riedhammer faulerhund at faulerhund.net
Tue Oct 15 22:52:21 EEST 2002

hi all,
after havong some other trouble with my server i finally managed to
recompile and install dovecot. installed it in /usr/local (the dafault).
below u see a dump of my config file. i want to use "normal" shadow
passwords for authentification. i adjustet the pathes from /usr/ to
/usr/local/. when i login with outlook express 4 example i get the error:
unsupported authentification method. (my system isn't configured for shadow
md5). in the error log i get the the /dev/urandom is needed but not found,
well but i have it :)
maybe a chroot setting?

thx bini

imap_port = 143
#imaps_port = 993
imap_listen =
#imaps_listen =
#ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
#ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/imapd.pem
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_path = /var/log/imapd.log
log_timestamp = %d %H:%M:%S
login_executable = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_user = imapd
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login
login_chroot = yes
login_processes_count = 1
max_logging_users = 256
imap_executable = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
max_imap_processes = 1024
first_valid_uid = 1000
#last_valid_uid = 0
first_valid_gid = 101
last_valid_gid = 101
valid_chroot_dirs = /var/run/dovecot
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = no
maildir_check_content_changes = no
overwrite_incompatible_index = yes
umask = 0077
auth = default
auth_methods = plain
#auth_realms =
auth_userinfo = shadow
auth_executable = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap-auth
auth_user = root
auth_chroot = /var/run/dovecot
auth_count = 1
#auth = digest_md5
#auth_methods = digest-md5
#auth_realms =
#auth_userinfo = passwd-file /etc/passwd.imap
#auth_user = imapauth
#auth_chroot = /var/run/dovecot/auth