[dovecot] Re: Architectural questions

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Mon Oct 21 15:38:39 EEST 2002

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 06:53:43PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > As long as dovecot doesn't read a different meaning into those flags
> > (ignoring them is just fine) we should be fine. I don't think we'll have
> > many customers switching back and forth between dovecot and UW-IMAP, just
> > people switching from UW-IMAP to dovecot.

> Keeping the UIDs untouched when changing could be important to some
> people whose mail clients can save some extra information related to
> specific messages and use UID to identify the mails. I think Evolution
> does this with it's labels and Follow-Up marks, but I'm not sure.

Well, what I meant was that currently, IMAP is being used only by
SquirrelMail, and I'm fairly sure SquirrelMail doesn't store UIDs anywhere.
Other IMAP clients would be an issue only if we allowed other IMAP clients
to connect, which we don't (except in internal tests :).

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>