[dovecot] Re: Architectural questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 22 05:31:22 EEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 04:24, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Just had a thought. Would it be feasible to _try_ to permanently assign
> users to one or few specific servers (via ip or maybe login proxy)? If
> those servers were down, it could fallback to any random one.

Dovecot could actually do that itself too, authenticate user and then
either locally handle it or transfer it to another node based on some
configuration.

> I really like this idea, keeping indexes in local disk where they may be
> considered as fast non-permanent data and then reading the actual mail
> data via backed up NFS server. This gets me thinking of a lot more
> possible optimizations to reduce NFS I/O at the cost of more local.. :)

This again makes the indexer process possible and useful, since it would
be accessing only local disks. It could also delete some of the older
indexes if disk space is getting full.