[dovecot] Re: Failure in the presence of too many connections

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 2 03:34:02 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 19:51, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> The point was not so much that this happens-- but that it doesn't
> recover when it does happen (thus the subject line).  The only way to
> make the services start responding again is to stop and restart the
> dovecot suite of control processes.

I don't really see anything in code that would prevent dovecot-auth from
working again after some of the connections to login processes die and
free file descriptors. I guess I'll have to try myself.

>  Raising the openfiles limit
> certainly pushes off the problem, and maybe that's a good enough
> workaround (as long as there's always a higher limit availble...)

How much was it before? Dovecot limits the number of login processes to
384 by default (max_logging_users 256 + login_max_processes_count 128).