[dovecot] Re: Question about the password field in a postgres ql database

Maikel Verheijen maikel at ladot.com
Fri Apr 4 00:54:39 EEST 2003

> Works fine with me.. Only thing I can think of is that it's
> some stupid
> configuration mistake, like not uncommenting the line :)

Hi Timo,

I just (double) checked my config files, and it LOOKS ok.

My dovecot is from cvs, updated yesterday, and running on Redhat 7.3 (if
that matters).

Here is my dovecot-pgsql.conf:

--8<--
#
# Postgress connect string. Similar to PHP
connect = host=A.B.C.D dbname=maildb user=mailuser password=******

password_query = SELECT password FROM aliases WHERE alias = '%u' AND
password != '' AND locked='f';
user_query = SELECT maildir as home, 100 as uid,498 as gid FROM aliases
where alias = '%u';

#default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
#default_pass_scheme = PLAIN-MD5
default_pass_scheme = CRYPT
--8<--

My NON-working DB entry is:
--8<--
maildb-> default_pass_scheme = CRYPT
maildb-> select * from aliases where alias = 'marc at test.com';
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "#"
maildb=> ;
maildb=> select * from aliases where alias = 'marc at test.com';
     alias     |        maildir         |              password
| locked
---------------+------------------------+-----------------------------------
-+--------
 marc at test.com | test.com/marc/Maildir/ | $1$JJN5H82p$yKs5jnb/csQVYsZZ/4WFS0
(1 row)
--8<--

and the one that IS working:
--8<--
maildb=> select * from aliases where alias = 'maikel at test.com';
      alias      |         maildir          |                 password
| locked
 maikel at test.com | test.com/maikel/Maildir/ |
{CRYPT}$1$JJN5H82p$yKs5jnb/csQVYsZZ/4WFS0 | f
(1 row)
--8<--

Both strings are crypted versions of 'qwerty'

Thank you,

Maikel Verheijen