[dovecot] Re: message order reversed on copying

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 6 00:13:27 EEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 10:15, Kimura Fuyuki wrote:
> I noticed an annoying behavior of dovecot: the message order (sequence
> numbering) is reversed on COPYing in the maildir.
>
> I suspect that the following code in maildir-save.c is working like
> "pushing".

Order for new mails is currently the same as the order in which
readdir() returns the mails. I guess some filesystems list the files in
the order they were written to the directory, but many don't. It anyway
can't be relied on, so I won't even try.

Better fix for this comes once I add support for UIDPLUS IMAP extension.
That requires knowing the new UID for mail in destination mailbox, so I
have to update the indexes immediately, which also saves the mail order
permanently.