[dovecot] New installation - error 89 on connect

David Knudsen dknudse at online.no
Wed Apr 9 21:46:20 EEST 2003

I've recently installed dovecot (0.99.8.1) from the Debian/woody
backport at 'deb http://src.braincells.com/debian woody/'

Previously, all mail have been delivered to mbox'es in ~/Mail by
exim/procmail -- ~/Mail/inbox being my main mailbox.

Whenever I attempt to connect with an IMAP client, the connection is
closed and the following error is reported in /var/log/syslog:

	imap-login: Login: dk [192.168.0.2]
	imap(dk): Unknown client workaround: outlook-idle^I###
	dovecot: child 17653 (imap) returned error 89

What does error 89 signify?

My current configuration is: (non-comment lines only)

	imap_listen = 192.168.0.2
	imaps_listen = *
	login = imap
	login = pop3
	verbose_proctitle = yes
	client_workarounds = oe6-fetch-no-newmail outlook-idle
	mailbox_check_interval = 60
	auth = default
	auth_mechanisms = plain
	auth_userdb = passwd
	auth_passdb = pam
	auth_user = root
	auth_verbose = yes

In my confusion, I blindly tried changing settings, attempting to get a
different error message at least.  :-)

These are the settings I have tried, without success:

	default_mail_env = mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=~/Mail/inbox
	mail_full_filesystem_access = yes
	mbox_locks = fcntl
	auth_passdb = shadow

There is no subdirectories in ~/Mail, neither visible nor hidden.

I did try to read the docs, and I did browse the mailing list archives,
but either I missed something or it is not there.  Any ideas?

Thank you,
David Knudsen