[dovecot] Re: Maildir syncing rewrite

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 10 23:44:23 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 10:14, Kimura Fuyuki wrote:
> > You can get the sources from either CVS, or 0.99.9-test2 from
> > http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/test/
>
> Wow, it's much faster! ...but sometimes it dies with the following
> syslog message. (locking broken?)

Faster? How large mailboxes or slow computer do you have? :) I don't
think I made it any faster, and I don't think it was slow before
either.. It took more memory though.

> Apr 10 15:58:53 hadaly imap(fuyuki): Corrupted index file /home/fuyuki/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index: index.next_uid (12797) > uidlist.
> next_uid (12790)
> Apr 10 15:58:53 hadaly dovecot: child 71956 (imap) killed with signal 11
>
> I'm using flock for both dovecot and postfix, which is my local mail
> delivery agent.

flock? With maildir? There's no locks with maildir, except for
uidlist.lock file which relies on O_EXCL working for open(). Indexes and
others are locked with fcntl(), unless you've directly changed that from
sources.

But I'm not really sure why the above happens.. Even the crash shouldn't
happen if the corruption happens (I forced corruption, worked fine). It
would help if you could get gdb backtrace, core dumps can be enabled by
setting "mail_drop_priv_before_exec = yes" in config file.