[dovecot] Re: 0.99.9-test3

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Tue Apr 15 18:56:53 EEST 2003

> > Apr 14 23:48:12 mercury dovecot: child 25983 (imap) killed with signal 11
> > Apr 14 23:48:12 mercury dovecot: child 25992 (imap) killed with signal 11
> > Apr 14 23:48:14 mercury dovecot: child 26034 (imap) killed with signal 11
>
> Could these be the FETCH MIME crashes that Evolution caused? What clients do
> you mostly have anyway?

It could be.  I'll try the test4 and see what it reports.
I generally stage the installation through a test machine and my
rather low-volume tests to that machine do not show these failures.
So there probably is some difference between my tests and other
user accesses.

> > In fact it appears that all examples of "Corrupted index" are pop3
> > instances, and all examples of "signal 11" are imap..
>
> Are you sure you rebuilt/reinstalled the pop3 binary? I haven't actually
> tried pop3 at all for a long time, but it shares all the backend code with
> imap.

Very sure..

Another difference that occured to me: I built the recent -test versions
with the libiconv library, and the previous ones without.  This would
seem (from my naive perspective) to also be a difference between pop3
and imap code paths.

> > I tried setting
> >
> >   mail_drop_priv_before_exec = yes
> >
> > as you suggested, to generate a core dump, but if it's dumping core
> > I can't find it anywhere.  dovecot was started from /var/tmp and
> > I have verified that the running dovecot and dovecot-auth processes
> > have /var/tmp as a working directory.
>
> Does everyone have write access to that directory then? It's the imap
> process that needs it.. Or maybe you have just disabled core dumping?
> Dovecot uses the ulimit -c that was active when dovecot was started.

I started it from /var/tmp to help with the core dumping (because that is
indeed a directory that everybody can write to).  I didn't mention it but
I did indeed look at the dovecot process limits (via "rlimit") to verify
that it did not have a restricted coredump limit.

> > I also continue to see sporadic "(imap) returned error 89" with this
> > version and with 0.99.8.1
>
> Without more specific error above it?

Not that I have been able to find.. i.e. no correlation with the
pid given.

mm