[dovecot] Re: quotas again

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Mon Apr 21 21:29:51 EEST 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:15:56AM -0700, Mike Machado wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 10:03, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately using filesystem quotas for mailboxes has problems.  At
> > one point we had a mail delivery quota system here that was not related
> > to filesystem quotas (i.e. the mail delivery agent would arrange not to
> > deliver mail to a mailbox that was at its limit, and would in fact
> > insert a single warning note instead)-- however filesystem quotas were
> > not in effect, so it was possible to manipulate the mailbox via the
> > POP or IMAP interface.  This was under sendmail, though, and I have
> > not yet thought about doing something similar under qmail.
>
> I don't suppose you could share how you built or where you found the
> system that could do mail quotas with sendmail? Thanks!

It was some hackery that I performed on mail.local under bsdi.
I regret that it's no longer available.

"not related to filesystem quotas" was a simplification- it would
actually look at filesystem quotas and use the user's soft limit if
one was set, but otherwise would impose a default maximum.  Most
users were left with quota not set.

It also required some minimal hacking to sendmail to recognize a
special return code from mail.local .

Considering that sendmail and mail.local used /var/spool/mail mailboxes,
it was pretty easy to understand and manage this kind of quota.  With
maildirs integrated into home directories, it's not quite as simple.

mm