[dovecot] Re: index files

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Wed Apr 23 11:26:59 EEST 2003

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>>No, that setting is used only when the index is created or rebuilt for
>>>some reason.
>>
>>so I've to delete everyone's index files?
>

> No, just leave them the way they are. Dovecot starts automatically
> caching the fields that the client uses.
>
> Or is there some reason you thought you wanted this? It's slower?

ok the whole story:
- once (one of the cvs version) we got a few corrupted index file.
- then I delete all index file
- after that (as I wrote it) the load goes so high I've to stop dovecot.
- delete all index file and modify dovecot.conf :
   mail_cache_fields =
- but now I assume the index and high load problem may be solved so I'd
   like to put back the default cache schema.
and my question is:
should I delete the old index files (which contains no fileds) in
order to create new index files (which contains the default fields) or
it will happned automaticaly?
from you first answer it seems to me if the index is not corrupted than
it never will recreated. but from the second it seems it will regenerate
it automatically?
so?