[dovecot] 0.99.9 release candidate 1

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 27 19:56:20 EEST 2003

0.99.9 should really be released soon. There's been quite a lot of
important fixes since 0.99.8.1.

There's still some recent counter strangeness, but it wasn't perfect
before either.

mbox still doesn't necessarily notice flag changes unless they're
written into index file (ie. non-Dovecots and Dovecot without index
files). But it wasn't perfect before either.

dovecot-uidlist file works perfectly now as far as I know.

I just noticed that mbox syncing has been somewhat broken for past
month. It sometimes assigned new UIDs to messages without any reason, so
it was mostly just slowdown.

So unless there's something really broken, I'll release 0.99.9 tomorrow.
Please get 0.99.9-rc1 from http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/rc/ and see if
you can break it.

NEWS file:

v0.99.9 2003-04-28  Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>

	* WARNING: mbox rewriting works now faster, but it's less likely to
	  notice external message flag changes (it wasn't perfect before
	  either). This also means that if you're not using index files,
	  Dovecot may not notice changes made by another process. This will be
	  fixed later.

	+ Message UIDs are now permanently stored outside index files.
	  Deleting indexes is now possible without any kind of data loss and
	  in-memory indexes are now usable.
	+ mbox rewriting leaves extra space into X-Keywords header. It's
	  shrinked or grown when updating message flag headers to avoid
	  rewriting the rest of the file.
	+ imap-login and pop3-login can now be started from inetd. Privilege
	  separation is still used, so it executes dovecot and dovecot-auth
	  processes which are left on the background.
	+ PostgreSQL authentication support, patch by Alex Howansky
	- Large multiline headers (over 8kB) broke Dovecot before. Now they're
	  parsed one line at a time and we try to avoid reading them fully into
	  memory.
	- SEARCH OR was broken
	- Partial BODY[] fetches were broken
	- Timezones were still set wrong when parsing dates
	- Using non-synchronized literals (LITERAL+) broke APPEND
	- Renaming maildir subfolders inserted extra "." in the middle.
	- Subfolders were a bit broken with maildir
	- Invalid PLAIN auth request crashed auth process.