[Dovecot] thinking seriously about converting

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Aug 6 05:30:50 EEST 2003

to dovecot from UW imap.  I think I will go all the way to maildir while I'm at
it.  I was having performance problems with mbox format files and converted to
mbx but it's not really yielding a huge performance gain.  Deletes and moves are
still rather slow at times.  my mailboxes are typically 2000 to 5000 messages.

I've scanned the mailing lists a bit and picked up some hints on the conversion.
  Any bits of advice before I convert?  Since it's only my own account I'm
converting (my wife likes mutt), I'm torn between two different ways of
converting the mailboxes.  First is to convert all of the mbx format mailboxes
back to mbox.  Then convert from mbox to maildir.  Second is running both imap
server simultaneously (obviously one on a different port number) and running
some form of a tool to read from one imap server and write to the other.

any better ideas?

many thanks
---eric