[Dovecot] login w/ IMAP & LDAP

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Aug 14 06:25:08 EEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:40:50AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > I've never done a patch before, and I looked at the FBSD documentation
> > on it, and couldn't figure out how it was done.
>
> cd src/auth
> patch -p0 < auth-no-homedir.patch

Hmmm. That must Linux. I can't find a src/auth on FBSD, and I don't
know what the FBSD equivalent would be.

> (I forgot to make the patch against root dir so the cd command is
> needed..)
>
> >  So I modified my test
> > entry in the LDAP directory and added posixAccount with homeDirectory
> > and uidNumber and gidNumber. Restart OpenLDAP, retest, and same error
> > message.
>
> Well, since it's still crashing, check with gdb:
>
> ps ax|grep dovecot-auth -> get PID
> gdb /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth PID
> continue
>
> Now try to login, and it should crash. Then type "bt" and copy&paste the
> output and mail it to me. http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/bugreport.html
> shows what the gdb output should look like.

It doesn't crash, it hangs.
	1 login bob secret
	* OK Waiting for authentication process to respond..
	* BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
	Connection closed by foreign host.
maillog gives no error message except mentioning that the connection
was closed due to inactivity. I've sent the output from gdb, but it's
very compassionate; no processes were killed during its production.

> > x login dovecot secret
> > x NO Authentication failed.
>
> Yeah. User doesn't get very specific error messages, they're in the log
> file.

The problem above is caused by the fact that dovecot is not in the
same subtree in LDAP registry as the user accounts. I may have to
rethink that. If I log in as myself, I duplicate the error I get when
I try to connect as myself from an MUA. So at least now I know how to
do that.

Maybe someone can tell me; is there ever any reason to log onto dovecot
as dovecot? Should I make the dovecot user's LDAP entry available to
dovecot?

Bob Hall