[Dovecot] more transitional joys

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Aug 15 02:27:35 EEST 2003

Timo Sirainen explained:

> On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 01:06 Europe/Helsinki, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Hmh. I guess I'll really have to fix this too soon since everyone keeps
> having this problem.

right now, you should probably just tell people about it and let them know to do
the work around as I did.

> Maybe it thinks the mbox is synchronized even while it stopped in error.
> Try rm -f  .imap/INBOX/.imap.index*. Or just touching the mbox.

I tried deleting INBOX which did not do anything.  New mail was coming in so the
file was updated which wasn't detected.  What finally worked was stopping and
then restarting dovecot.

so, if I was really energetic, I would go back and re-create the problem and
find out what is the right solution.  My suspicion is that the information got
wedged inside dovecot somehow and the process restart fixed things up.

> Mixing mboxes and maildirs isn't possible with .10, but will be in next
> version.

looking forward to it.  Since I'm the only user of imap on the system (my wife
prefers mutt) I'm willing to give a shot at trying "relatively good" code.

by the way, in recovering my old inbox I created a new imap mailbox and the
process keeps complaining about "invalid mask" and then lost my subscriptions to
all my mailboxes.  What's that all about?  Need a protocol trace?

---eric