[Dovecot] Three oddities

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Tue Aug 19 07:32:27 EEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:07:57PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Bob Hall explained:
>

> >3)
> >We're pulling our e-mail off our ISP's POP server and loading it into
> >Dovecot to allow people to work with their mail from different
> >machines. I'm using getmail to make the transfer. Is anyone else
> >doing POP to IMAP, and how are they doing it? Any suggestions?
>
> finally a question I can answer.  :-)
>
> if you're not going to have direct SMTP delivery, you are doing it the only
> way you really can.  One refinement would be to collect all e-mail for all
> addresses into a single pop3 box and use multidrop type functionality to
> retrieve and disburse the mail appropriately.
>
> in theory it would be possible to retrieve using pop3 and then push using
> imap but that is too ugly to even contemplate.

If I understand you correctly, that's exactly what I'm doing. And here
I thought my setup was a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

I did look at the descriptions of multidrop setups in the fetchmail
and getmail documentation, but decided, since eash user has his own
POP account, to keep it that way in IMAP. Taking accounts that were
seperate, blending them, and then seperating them again seemed more
complicated than keeping them seperate. Am I wrong?

Bob Hall