[Dovecot] Squirrelmail and Dovecot folder namespace

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Aug 19 22:30:15 EEST 2003

I am currently using Squirrelmail and Dovecot with this setting:

default_mail_env = mbox:%h/mail/:INBOX=%h/mail/INBOX

It works well, however folder subscriptions in Squirrelmail annoyingly
end up with "./" prefixes because Squirrelmail refuses to work without
overriding the folder namespace.  All of my other IMAP clients work fine
without setting that option.

Squirrelmail's default setting is this:
$default_folder_prefix          = './mail';

This setting breaks Squirrelmail:
$default_folder_prefix          = '';

This setting becomes default if you attempt to blank that user's
preference:
$default_folder_prefix          = './';

The end result of this is duplicate entries in .subscriptions, one with
"./" prefix and one without.  Most IMAP clients handle this by showing
all the folders again in a folder named ".", or Mozilla displays all
folders twice. =(

When I asked one of the squirrelmail developers, he said that this might
be a dovecot specific problem.  Any ideas?

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com