[Dovecot] Three oddities

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 20 08:51:32 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 08:19, Bob Hall wrote:
> > imap process is run under them. Actually after reading your mail, it
> > feels like you haven't even noticed their existence? :)
>
> In the paragraph you quote below, I described setting the global and
> individual uids and gids, so I must have been aware of their existence.

I meant the imap processes actually.

> > Sounds correct then. Did you verify with ps that the imap processes are
> > also running under that user? Are you sure the full /var/mail/etc path
> > is accessible to that user?
>
> The main dovecot process runs under root. If I understand correctly,
> it forks subprocesses (imap) that run under the user. These never show
> up in ps. Is there a way to capture a transitory process in ps? My
> Dovecot installation is currently hosed, so the imap processes may not
> be spawning.

Try logging in manually?

telnet localhost imap2
x login user pass

Then you should have imap process.

> I've got it in my home directory, and it's listed in homeDirectory in the
> ldap registry. I made dovecot.rawlog world writable. Nothing is showing up.

Oh and third thing. You had to configure dovecot with --with-rawlog.
Actually that's probably the problem, otherwise it would print some
permission denied errors in log file.