[Dovecot] transitional weirdnesses

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed Aug 20 19:30:43 EEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 06:14:23AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 01:55, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> > Architecturally, I consider putting the filter in the LDA appropriate because
> > the filter operations happen at delivery time when it's appropriate not as you
> > are trying to read your inbox.  It's also the appropriate place to put other
> > types of processing such as antispam and antivirus checking.
>
> It's also where I was going to put the Sieve scripting. I was going to
> create a separate "deliver" binary which would read the mail from stdin
> and place it into proper mailbox. This could be also used to update
> indexes immediately while mail is being delivered.

How important do you think it is for the local delivery agent
to update the indexes upon delivery?  I assume that would be the
primary purpose of your including a delivery agent in the package..

If it's important to update the indexes upon delivery, perhaps it
would be worthwhile to provide some kind of toolkit that could be
included into other delivery agents.  I'm already using a sieve-ish
filtering delivery agent, and I imagine I would keep on using it.  But
I wouldn't be averse to adding logic to update indexes if it meant
some kind of performance gain.

mm