[Dovecot] No localhost after reboot

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Wed Aug 27 20:47:23 EEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 06:43:23PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 07:17, Bob Hall wrote:
> > Rebooted the server box today. Now Dovecot doesn't listen at
> > localhost. It does listen at the LAN interface, so it is
> > perfectly usable, but...
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea why it has stopped listening at
> > localhost?
>
> If settings still say imap_listen = *, it's probably got something to do
> with IPv6.. I think localhost was defined as ::1 in BSDs.. I'm not sure
> why it worked before then :)

I've tried both of the following:
	imap_listen = *
	imap_listen = <mailhost>:143
They behave the same; no localhost. Prior to the reboot, I was using
localhost on a daily basis for testing. I never use IP6 for anything,
so the OS kernel is compiled without IP6 support. When I try to log
in, I get
	$ telnet localhost 143
	Trying 127.0.0.1...
so the system is trying to connect on an IP4 interface.

Bob Hall