[Dovecot] converting from courier-imap

Emily emily at lib.utk.edu
Fri Aug 29 22:05:57 EEST 2003

Hello. I apologize if there is a simple answer to this question, but I
haven't been able to figure it out. Our people use various clients (pine
4.50 with maildir patch, eudora, messenger, outlook, squirrelmail), and
all of them work with courier-imap. But I've become very interested in
dovecot after reading about it, so I'm trying it out on another server.
The results are mixed.

Strangely enough, squirrelmail 1.4.1 works wonderfully. For some reason,
it duplicates Sent, Drafts, and Trash, but I deleted the duplicates and
it was fine. Mozilla messenger is also fine, but with the same
duplication of those special folders. Everything seems nice and fast.

But some of our users still cling to pine, which works with courier-imap
using these three lines in .pinerc:
inbox-path={our.server.edu/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=emily}INBOX
default-fcc={our.server.edu/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=emily}INBOX.Sent
folder-collections="IMAP Folders"
{our.server.edu/user=emily/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX.[]

On the test server I'm using dovecot-0.99.10 compiled against
openssl-0.9.7b in Redhat 9.

This pine configuration worked in courier, but when I try pine with
dovecot, I can't see any folders under "Folder Collection" other than
those special three (Drafts, Sent, Trash). I'm sure there's just
something I'm doing wrong, but I couldn't find anything in the dovecot
list archives. I would appreciate any advice on what I'm doing wrong in
getting pine to see the whole collection.

Thanks,

--
Emily