[Dovecot] Re: Rogue child imap processes when using Mac imap clients

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Wed Dec 10 23:44:17 EET 2003

On 2003-12-08, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2003, at 7:28 PM, darren david wrote:
>> I am currently running dovecot 0.99.10p2 on
>> OpenBSD-3.4-snapshot. It has been very stable, but I have recently
>> noticed that I am having problems when checking IMAP-SSL mail with
>> Mac OS X clients. There are not problems using Mozilla or Outlook
>> on Windows, but Mac clients (Thunderbird, Mozilla, Mail.app) all
>> exhibit the same behavior - they can check and send mail, but I end
>> up with a single, rogue child imap process on the server that pins
>> the cpu that i have to 'kill -9' to clear out.
>>
>> Is this a Mac problem or a Dovecot problem? I'm not even sure what
>> to look for in the logs...
>
> Hmm. Check with ktrace what the imap process is doing and send the
> log to me? (I'm not exactly sure how ktrace worked, it was a bit
> weird.)  And maybe check with gdb too where it's stuck at (gdb
> /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap <pid> and "bt" command). Or is it imap
> process or imap-login process?

Got one (although I'm not sure if this comes from handling a Mac mail
reader):

 45793 dovecot  CALL  sendto(0x9,0x11ffac40,0x45,0,0,0)
 45793 dovecot  GIO   fd 9 wrote 69 bytes
       "<19>Dec 10 22:37:15 dovecot: socketpair() failed: Too many open files"
 45793 dovecot  RET   sendto 69/0x45
 45793 dovecot  CALL  socketpair(0x1,0x1,0,0x11ffb9d0)
 45793 dovecot  RET   socketpair -1 errno 24 Too many open files
 45793 dovecot  CALL  gettimeofday(0x11ffabf0,0)
 45793 dovecot  RET   gettimeofday 0

This is what's happening on an alpha/freebsd, in a tight loop.

(FreeBSD s2.enemy.org 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #1: Mon Nov 24
10:37:25 CET 2003 root at s2.enemy.org:/u/src/sys/compile/S2 alpha)

Unfortunately, I couldn't extract a gdb backtrace. Perhaps you can
work with that until I can get one (should be another 2-4 days) (-:

> Anyway, I haven't noticed problems with Mail.app.

Thanks a lot,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf at boinkor.net>, asf at jabber.at, antifuchs