[dovecot] Re: bincimap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 17 11:29:47 EET 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 05:01, Charlie Brady wrote:
> Timo, my preferred way to run network servers is to have tcpserver
> running under supervise, and logging to multilog. bincimap is designed to
> run this way. I don't know how dovecot executes - there's no mention of
> either init.d or inetd in the documentation AFAICT. Can dovecot be used in
> a supervise/tcpserver/multilog environment, and if so, how?

I haven't looked too deeply into daemontools, but CVS supports logging
into /dev/stderr (it was before closed or used for other purposes) which
I've heard is enough for multilog.

I don't think it could be made to run with tcpserver without changes.
Dovecot is executed by running a master binary (imap-master before,
dovecot in CVS) which creates rest of the required processes
(authentication, pre-auth imap, post-auth imap)