[dovecot] Re: pop3: last, and auth plain

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 26 23:26:48 EET 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 23:04, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> A couple of comments regarding the POP3 server (I realize the POP3
> server is probably low priority though..)
>
> One problem is that the "LAST" command is not supported.  Some mail
> clients end up downloading all messages every time because of this
> (or so I'm told).  The biggest source of these remarks is people
> using the yahoo webmail front end.  I wonder if this could be added?

http://www.remote.org/jochen/mail/info/pop3-last.html

I could add support for it, but how exactly? Maybe return the previous
message of the first unseen message?

> Also, under BSD/OS, the "auth plain" mechanism doesn't work.  Perusing
> the mailing list archives, I see that the symptoms appear just like
> those that were reported earlier for another BSD system.  I'm curious
> as to whether there has been any progress on that front?

All BSD issues should have been fixed by now. I just tested with FreeBSD
5 and Linux, AUTH PLAIN worked just fine in both. Does USER+PASS work?
Try enabling auth_verbose = yes?

And what errors exactly do you see now? There's been several different
BSD errors :)