[dovecot] Re: inetd/xinetd/tcpserver support

Stuart Krivis ipswitch at apk.net
Wed Feb 26 23:28:13 EET 2003

--On Wednesday, February 26, 2003 9:58 AM +0100 Farkas Levente
<lfarkas at bnap.hu> wrote:

> I always prefer standalone daemons, and as we see the tendency is that
> most server run as standalone (apache, vsftpd, ssh...). at the begining
> they has (x)inetd version later remove it... IMHO ip/tcp filtering should
> have done in a firewall or some fitering can be implemented in the
> standalone server too.. but this is just my 2c:-)

Services that get heavily used can push inetd to its limits - or beyond. :-)

Standalone is normally better in this case, with sendmail being a common
example.

>> imap stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd
>> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login imaps stream tcp nowait root
>> /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login --ssl

I don't think this will work for tcpserver. :-)

One advantage to using something sitting before the daemon is that you can
depend on the other software for certain functionality and keep the daemon
simple.

I suppose xinetd and tcpwrappers would do the job, or djb's tcpserver. It
just depends upon which flavor you like. :-)

I'm coming to have more and more respect for djb's software, although there
are still some things that make me shake my head. hehe

One disadvantage to running daemons standalone is that they if they die,
they stay that way. djb's daemontools can help there.