[dovecot] Re: maildirmake, shared folders

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Fri Jan 3 07:46:26 EET 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Amelia A.Lewis wrote:

> Another question: can the dovecot distribution include a maildirmake
> utility?  The documentation is pretty blunt about the significant
> advantages of maildirs, but one has to go to the courier distribution to
> find a utility to pre-create these (which dovecot seems to want, since
> it's recognizing the mail type by looking for the dir).  This is most
> significant when setting up new users, of course.  Possibly this is
> inappropriate, and I should instead ask the debian package maintainer to
> 'recommend' or 'suggest' the maildrop package in order to get the
> required utility.

Good thing I checked this list before I made the 0.99.5 packages.  rather
than depend on another package, i'm going to include the following script
as /usr/bin/maildirmake.dovecot (to avoid treading on the others.)

#!/bin/sh
#
# maildirmake.dovecot -- create maildirs
# Copyright (c) 2003, Jaldhar H. Vyas
# "Do what thou wilt" shall be the whole of the license.
#
dir=$1
if [ -z "$dir" ]; then
  echo "Must supply a directory path"
  exit 1
fi

if [ "$dir" = "-h" ]; then
  echo "usage: $0 directory"
  exit 0
fi

umask 077
mkdir -p $dir/{cur,new,tmp} || echo "$!" && exit 1
chmod u+rwxg-a- $dir $dir/{cur,new,tmp} || echo "$!" && exit 1

exit 0

If Timo wants to borrow this, he is welcome to it.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>